DETROIT, Aug. 10, 2022 – The North American International Auto Show (aka Detroit Auto Show) today announced an all-new “Air Mobility Experience” will join the Sept. 14 - 25, 2022, auto show lineup, bringing science fiction to reality over the skies of Detroit and Windsor. This “Show Above the Show” will feature flight demonstrations and displays by six international air mobility innovators, including one homegrown Detroit startup, who are expanding the future of personal mobility beyond boundaries ever imagined.
Originating from five countries, these pioneers in new air mobility technology will be taking to the land and skies with everything from electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft to amphibious sport planes to hoverbikes, hoverboards and jet suits.
- AIR from Tel Aviv, Israel, will display its consumer-targeted AIR ONE two-seater eVTOL aircraft that is designed to “drive the sky.” AIR will also invite auto show visitors to “fly” in the cockpit of AIR ONE by way of an exhilarating virtual reality simulator.
- Airspace Experience Technologies (ASX) from Detroit, will display its Sigma-6 eVTOL aircraft that fuses automotive innovation and aviation technology to offer urban commuters a clean, fast and affordable transportation alternative, and commercial users, multiple payload capabilities.
- AERWINS Technologies from Wilmington, Del. / A.L.I. Technologies from Tokyo, will take flight and make the U.S. debut of its XTURISMO Hoverbike. This hybrid electric vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) vehicle, inspired by the speeder bikes in “Star Wars” and designed as a “luxury air cruiser,” promotes next-generation mobility with varied applications, including search and rescue.
- Gravity Industries from Salisbury, England, will soar into human flight with its patented Jet Suit that produces 1,000 horsepower. Gravity’s business spans search and rescue, paramedic, entertainment and defense applications, as well as a flight training school.
- ICON Aircraft from Vacaville, California, will take off in its garageable ICON A5 two-seat, amphibious light-sport aircraft with retractable wings that was featured on “Jay Leno’s Garage.”
- Omni Hoverboards from Montreal, Canada, will demonstrate its eVTOL Hoverboard showing auto show audiences why it earned a spot as a finalist on Italy's top talent show, has been invited to multiple Cup Finals around the world and achieved a Guinness World Record for introducing and inventing the first flying hoverboard.
The Air Mobility Experience will take place over the Detroit River, in Hart Plaza and in Huntington Place. Flight demonstrations of the XTURISMO, Gravity Jet Suit, ICON A5 and Omni Hoverboard begin Media Day, Wednesday, Sept. 14 and run through Sunday, Sept. 18. Air Mobility displays and experiences featuring AIR ONE, ASX’s Sigma-6 and the ICON A5 will be featured inside Huntington Place for the run of the show (Sept. 14 - 25).
A full schedule of flight demonstrations and display dates and times will be released soon.
“This exciting addition to the show is a natural extension of the evolving transportation ecosystem, especially as people continue to look for creative ways to expand personal mobility,” said Detroit Auto Show Chairman Joe Lunghamer. “We’ll give auto show audiences a taste of the future today with a look at the whole spectrum of mobility – from the thrill of human propulsion to amphibious vehicles you can keep in your backyard to EVs leading the industry’s transformation.”
Companies participating in the Detroit Auto Show’s inaugural Air Mobility Experience have this to say:
- “We are thrilled to showcase AIR ONE, the sportscar of the sky, at an event as truly iconic as this. The Detroit Auto Show both inspires and embraces innovation and ingenuity, and we are excited to give automotive enthusiasts a look at a not-so-distant future when flying will be as easy as driving.” – Rani Plaut, CEO and Co-founder of AIR
- "Airspace Experience Technologies, Inc. (ASX) will reveal a proof-of-concept multi-modal electric VTOL aircraft and ground robot to plug and play payloads for defense, emergency response, cargo and passenger mobility. The vehicle is currently in flight testing and controls validation, and we look forward to sharing our vision for an all new platform in mobility. Designed and built in Detroit." – Jon Rimanelli, Founder and CEO
- “Drawing inspiration from the ‘Star Wars’ saga, the XTURISMOLimited Edition features a sleek and stylish exterior, outfitted with a hybrid propulsion system consisting of an internal combustion engine and four electric motors. It is presented as a new icon of next-generation air mobility for those who seek new frontiers of travel.” – Shuhei Komatsu, Founder and Inventor of XTURISMO
- “Gravity Industries is delighted to be a part of the iconic NAIAS in 2022, bringing our cutting-edge Jet Suit to the Detroit Show. Demonstrating relentless innovation in the mobility space, we are currently expanding our presence in North America with two new Flight Training Centers in the making.” – Richard Browning, Founder and Chief Test Pilot
- “The future of flying is here, and personal adventure flying is now available to those who want it. We couldn’t be more excited to present the ICON A5 at this incredible show and to continue to spark people’s imagination regarding the future of flight and air mobility.” – Jerry Meyer, CEO of ICON Aircraft
- "Bringing our vehicle to the Detroit Auto Show is a tremendous opportunity for us at Omni Hoverboards. There are so many different companies innovating right now, it's a vehicle renaissance, and we're honored to be a part of it." – Philippe Maalouf, Vice President Co-Founder
Air Mobility Video: https://bit.ly/3diESnY
About the North American International Auto Show
The North American International Auto Show (aka Detroit Auto Show) is one of the most influential annual automotive events in the world and a showcase for emerging technologies. September of 2022 ushers in the next-generation auto show in Detroit featuring a totally transformed indoor and outdoor experience, including brand-defining vehicles, product ride-and-drives and dynamic experiential activations. The reimagined event includes: Media Day, an opportunity for automakers and industry suppliers to debut new products and technologies; Industry Tech Days, a chance to preview emerging mobility technologies and engage with innovators; AutoMobili-D, an inside look at future mobility platforms; Charity Preview, a signature fundraising gala for children’s charities; and the Public Show, a nine-day mobility and community celebration with activations and entertainment citywide. For more information, visit naias.com.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for show highlights. Sign up for our e-newsletter to be among the first for show updates.
Dates for the 2022 Detroit Auto Show are:
- Media Day, Wednesday, Sept. 14
- AutoMobili-D and Industry Tech Days, Wednesday, Sept. 14 and Thursday, Sept. 15
- Charity Preview, Friday, Sept. 16
- Public Show, Saturday, Sept. 17 through Sunday, Sept. 25
# # # #
MBE Group, on behalf of DADA